Thursday, November 5, 2009

selfishness kills

Selfishness kills any kind of relationship you have. I was watching the show "Clean House" the other day and the chaos that people live in because they won't let go amazes me. They think that by holding onto all they have, that their lives are better for it. One guy actually said, If I let that go, then what will be next? I'll have to give up everything I want, and she'll get her way.

Yup. When you decide to be in a relationship, such as a marriage or a friendship, you have to give up most of yourself (I say most because none of us are able to give up ALL- There is only One). Think about it: Jesus gave it all. In order to be in a relationship with us, He gave up everything, even His life was not off limits.

Do you really want to be in a relationship? or is the relationship just to make YOU feel better, and not about the other person at all. This selfishness destroys lives and undermines relationships. How can you love someone by standing on the opposite side of the room from them, arms crossed, unwilling to let go of anything you want. I don't understand.

I would do just about anything to be close to my husband. Being selfish puts a rift between us, and usually we end up fighting. Its not that you "give in" but that you lovingly put yourself aside so you can enjoy being with the other person. Acts of kindness, or unselfishness, let the other person know how valuable they are to you. When they know they are valued and loved, watch them reciprocate it back. Pretty soon, you'll both have all you ever wanted, but its not by being selfish, its because you care more about the other person than yourself. Kindness is contagious, watch it grow!

just my thoughts... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment